Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My Favorite Latest Goodwill Find

Hello blogging world! Apparently it's been over a year since my last post! Yikes!!! Talk about procrastination!

So, today's topic: As anyone who knows me can tell you I have a passion for frugality, namely shopping & treasure hunting at Goodwill!! Ahhh, the smell of bargains in the morning.. or afternoon, or at night, heck, I will use ANY excuse to stop in the local goodwill and just look around. I never feel compelled to buy, (like going in thinking “I have to spend money, or find something”)> I know that there is a stereotype of women that we shop just because, or that we spend money because we have to, (emotional shopping and the like) so I know there are those of you who think going to Goodwill is like that, as if thrift-store shopping is an excuse to spend money, just because it's cheap. Not so with me. True, I do get a natural high or thrill from finding something for a great price, or finally finding an item that I've been looking for for a long time, but no, I don't go for the reasons most women do.

Recently my sister-in-law turned me on to a song by Maclemore called “Thrift Shop” that says it best (although I won't repeat the expletives). “This is ****ing awesome!!”. The song is a bit crass in spots, but I do appreciate a fellow thrift hunter and the song captures some of the main reasons I like to shop the thrift-stores. Reason #1, as I previously stated, there is an element of fun in hunting the shelves and racks to see just what you can find. Reason #2, there is an equal exhilaration and even pride in buying a whole outfit (including accessories & shoes) for less that $20. Reason #2, shopping elsewhere is a WASTE OF MONEY!! When you can spend less than $20 on a whole outfit at Goodwill, (granted, slightly worn/used) where you would spend at least that much on a single article of clothing brand-new at all other stores, it stands to reason.
 
Side note* I LOVE my dog. My dog Bear is a pure-bred West Highland White Terrier and he is a spunky, fearless, BIG dog in a little dog body. So naturally he is always in the back of my mind when treasure-hunting.
I also love Pinterest. I currently have over 22,000 pins and 100 boards. Amoung them is a board entitled “For the Dogs” where I pin all things related to dogs. Dog beds, toys, home-made treats, breeds (I also love Scotties, Bull dogs and Bull Terriers), cute pictures, and anything else having to do with dogs.

So, why do I mention these things that have seemingly nothing to do with the other? Well during my random searches I saw the cutest Westie bookends that I wanted SUPER bad. I looked them up on Ebay and Amazon, and they were going for between $40 and $80. As much as I wanted to buy them, I have a bedrock internal principle; “Don't spend too much money on something you know you can find cheaper at Goodwill!!” And I LOVE shopping at Goodwill. So basically, I would rather wait to buy something, in order to save money. And I would definitely rather wait to buy something if it means it gives me an excuse to shop at Goodwill... are you catching my drift when I said I LOVE GOODWILL!!!

So, you can imagine my shock, surprise and delight, when I found THESE beauties!!!

 
I've been looking for bookends for six months. Via Pinterest, I've seen ideas to take ugly & outdated thrift-store bookends or inexpensive plastic toys and attach them to blocks of wood and then spray paint them. Fortunaly, I found absolutely ADORABLE Scottie/Westie bookends (one of which I will spray white/Westie, one of which I plan to leave as-is/Scottie). I am THRILLED!!

And my point? Amazon price? $80. Goodwill price? $16!! Savings? $64

THIS is why I love Goodwill shopping!!

BOOM!!

Thrift-store Lyrics by Maclemore

“I'm like yo, that's heck'a tight.
I'm like Yo! that's $50 for a _________ (fill in the blank, whatever)
Limited edition lets to some simple addition
$50 for a ______ that's just some ignorance
I call that getting swindled!“

This is ****ing awesome!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment