Monday, February 4, 2013

A Long-Awaited Journey; To the Thrift Shop!!!

I had never heard of Macklemore until Christmas Ever 2012, when I sat around a family-members table and watched the music video for the (now) top-hit "Thrift-Shop". Being a long-time hater of rap and lover of thrift shopping, I was pessimistic at best. I figured what does a wealthy, white rapper know about the joy of thrifting? Well it only took me a listen or two to realize that I love this song (despite the profanity), and that brings us to todays blog post.

The first inaugural Unofficial Macklemore Thrift-Shop Challenge!

So Jason and I took on the challenge. We each had $20 in our pockets, and we were off and running!

Unfortunately we didn't set any further ground rules and I didn't explain the proper thrift-store etiquette to him, but he really got into it! I guess the rules were, there were not official rules :)

For the first challenge, we visited the Spanaway Goodwill, one of my favorite, mostly due to it's size and variety. The store is currently under construction, so we unknowingly limited our search to clothes, since the housewares and furniture were in a separate section of the building. I limited my search to a few items that I'm looking for to take to our Hawaii trip in March.

 My list: brown shorts, tan, grey or brown peep-toe semi-fancy flats, swim suits, sun-dresses and cute, printed tank-tops. Since it was still only January they had NONE of my searchable items even out on the sales floor! Grrr, so I stuck to general tops and sweaters, which are my latest obsession. Incidentally I have been looking for a cute red sweater for about 6 months. I found one, but didn't buy it due to some bad advice from a certain someone (why??? sob, sob, sob!!!)

Jason dove into the sports-jackets section, and probably tried on nearly every jacket there! He looks so good in practically everything, that I can hardly blame him.

We had a great time, searching on our own, modeling our finds and making our purchases. I kept my final tab to $22.47, whereas Jason spent about $80, although he tried to convince me that Men's clothes cost more (which in general is true, but he also chose sports jackets! That's like choosing to shop for semi-formal dresses for women!).







People say "dang, that's a cold-a$$ honkey"
His finds: three sports coats; grey, charcoal and dark blue (probably worth about $300 each), one black-leather jacket and two pairs of dress pants, all which looked "incredible" on him :)

So, in conclusion, I don't love thrift store shopping because of Macklemore, but I do love thrift store shopping MORE because of him and his song. And hey, he's a Seattleite and huge Seahawks fan!



My finds: a Romy brand tweed sweater-coat and a dark paisley printed skirt.



Also, a tie-dye-print and studded tee, (which looked fabulous when paired with) a flowy, aquamarine vestie-thing

No comments:

Post a Comment