Thursday, August 29, 2013

Deployment project #1

In today's post we are talking about "deployment project number one". In case you don't know, my husband is currently serving in the US Air Force and is deployed overseas. As one of my many "keep busy to survive during deployment" lists, I have three projects that I have decided to do while he is gone, hoping to finish before he gets back and surprise him. 

The three projects are:
Project #3: reorganize the furniture in our bedroom to optimize the space.

 Project #2: reorganize, redesign and clean out the office to maximize the space, clean out the clutter, and make it a peaceful, serene and an inviting space we can both use and enjoy together. 

Project #1: replace the dining room set with something less linear/masculine with a set with more vintage character that i can paint to add pops of color and brightness into a very white, plain space. The previous table set was given to my husband when he was still a bachelor, for free. It is a 4 to 6 person rectangular table that is very staunchly, with crisp, white paint and clean lines, but limits the use of the space. 

I was looking for a round table with double-drop side leaves, extendable center leaves, and a single, plain base that at the smallest would seat as few as two, and at the largest would seat as many as eight.

I was also looking for a set of four chairs with interesting and intricate details that would add character and a slightly more feminine, vintage style.


I was inspired by this picture that I found on Pinterest.

Sure, I would love a room with these rounded, bay windows, this amount of space and light, but I just liked the furniture. I wanted pieces that were full of character, vintage style and were also versatile. I wanted the table at the smallest size, to be used as a buffet and at the largest size as an entertaining and dinning space for dinners. 

I wanted the chairs to be full of character but also comfortable enough to be used as alternate pieces of living room furniture for extra guests. I chose a fabric that would work in both a vintage/country chic dining room and also that would work with the eclectic style of the fabrics of the throw pillows on the living room sofa. I wanted the color I chose to blend with the colors of the living room and kitchen spaces but to definitely add some great pops of the eclectic, fresh color.



Teaser: I found both for under $150.  They were not purchased together as a matching set but when put together really work. I will post pictures in my next post.

Generally the object of all 3 to 4 projects is to clean out, get rid of, and leave clear spaces to give the illusion of a larger space and make it more comfortable and pleasant. Jason has said the past that coming home to this house can feel  oppressive, stifling and depressing because there is so much stuff. I wanted to clean out and start over. I wanted him to feel like he can come home to spaces that were warm, full of character, pleasant, open, clutter free and generally inviting, warm and livable.

I will keep you posted with pictures of the transformation process. My next post will be part 1 of 2 or 3 posts on the project! So keep your eyes peeled!

No comments:

Post a Comment