Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Goodwill Hunting Finds


Hey Y'all! Just poppin' some tags!!!

My most recent trip to Goodwill yielded some fun finds. Always keeping my nose to the wind looking for bargains, I was ten steps inside the door of the South Hill Goodwill and saw the sign for a media sale! 50% off is always a good deal! So, DVDs, VHSs, music and books were all up for the hunt. Because of the sale, on this occasion, I chose almost exclusively books and media.

**Thrift-shop hunting tip! Wait to buy books and media until they have special sales like this one. I saved $18.46 on this purchase alone! Ask your local thrift stores' manager for info on upcoming sales (the Goodwill's in Pierce County print out monthly calendars showing the upcoming color tags that will be on sale and what other, special sales are coming up.)

They were just putting new movies out when I walked in, and so I had the pick of a fresh batch to look through. I found quite a few gems.

I was inspired by the little loves of my life. Yes, my love affair with my nephew and niece continues, and they are reaching an age where they are starting to read, and my love of all things vintage prompts hunting sprees to find treasures to buy for them.

Sigh, I've simply decided that I need to have kids of my own soon, so I can have someone to read and buy books to and buy toys for. I'll admit, I already have a small collection of vintage wood toys and books for them, when they come, which I will have to share in a later post.

First, for the kiddos, I bought four children's books. "The Great Big Fire Engine Book", three little golden books "I love you, Mommy!", "I love you, Daddy!", and "Presto!".

I especially liked Presto!, a book based on the Disney Pixar short, about a selfish and clueless magician named Presto, a hungry rabbit, named Alec, and two magically connected hats. In his classic magic act, Presto reaches into the top hat, that is a magic portal to the pointed wizard hat, where Alec is supposed to be waiting to be grabbed and pulled out of his once-empty hat, to the amazement of the crowd. Instead, using the hats, Alec the rabbit maneuvers himself just out of reach, and puts the magician through a gamete of zany and often-times painful rigors in order to obtain a carrot. I thought the kids would like it because of the funny antics and the infliction of pain. And there is a rabbit :)


Courtesy of Disney Pixar
I finally bought a book for myself that I'd been wanting to purchase for a while, but wanted to hold out for a sale like this one. It's "Seven Promises of a Promise Keeper" by such authors as Dr. James Dobsin, Luis Palau, Bill Bright and Randy Phillips.

I also found a Biggest Loser book; "The Biggest Loser, Successful Secrets".

Then, some workout DVDs.
Billy Blanks' "Billy's Boot Camp" series; "Ab Bootcamp", "Basis Training Boot Camp", "Cardio Boot Camp, and "Ultimate Boot Camp". And "Dirty Dancing - the Official Dance Workout". Who doesn't love the movie, wouldn't love to learn the official dance from the movie, and doesn't love to dance as a form of exercise.

Then, to add to my VHS Walt Disney Studio Film collection "That Darn Cat". This is the second to last of the collection, now I have all but one! (Still looking for "The Sword and the Rose".

And a few DVDs
"Shrek the Third" and "Toy Story 3" - it was totally coincidental that they were both "3s" and animated.

In the non-media category, I found a 4 pack of high quality cloth, chocolate-brown dinner napkins and a fun, bright pink floral scarf.

I also saw a stained wood, corner shelf unit that I had been looking for and liked but on closer inspection, it had too many flaws and needed too much work for the trouble. So I took a picture, and left it there for someone else to enjoy!

More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment